Stay Cool by Staying Aware of the Signs and Symptoms of Heat Stroke
The summer’s hot, humid conditions can be too hot to handle and cause heat stroke. It’s sometimes referred to as heat stress or sunstroke, but no matter what you call it, it’s the most serious type of heat injury. Basically, heat stroke makes the body’s temperature control system fail and leads to many dangerous sunstroke symptoms. The primary causes of heat stroke are prolonged exposure to high temperatures and severe dehydration. Now that the summer heat is on, MD Now wants to enlighten you about the signs and causes of heat stroke, as well as prevention and treatment of the condition. And as the summer heats up, remember that MD Now offers fast and convenient heat stroke treatment.
Shedding Light on the Causes of Heat Stroke
Heat stroke is directly related to heat and humidity. That’s why it’s important to monitor weather conditions and avoid prolonged outdoor exposure. But just as urgent is being aware that some factors increase the chance of heat stroke. To avoid needing heat stroke treatment, be aware of what can put you at risk:
- Age: Certain people who have trouble adjusting to extreme temperatures are extremely vulnerable to heat stroke. This includes babies and children up to age four, as well as adults over age 65.
- Health Conditions: People with medical conditions like heart disease, lung disease, kidney disease, or high blood pressure are more susceptible to heat stroke.
- Medications: Many medications increase the likelihood of heat stroke, such as antihistamines, diuretics, tranquilizers, sedatives, stimulants, seizure medications, antidepressants, antipsychotics, high blood pressure medications, and heart medications.
- Diabetes: People with diabetes have a higher risk of emergency room visits, hospitalization, and lethal complications from heat-related illness.
- Low Water Intake: Not drinking enough water can lead to dehydration and heat stroke.
- Weight Issues: People who are overweight or underweight are more likely to have difficulty with hot temperatures.
Exposing the Signs and Symptoms of Heat Stroke
Hot fun in the summertime can bring on a case of heat stroke. The causes of heat stroke are high heat and humidity when the body’s temperature rises above 105 degrees. There are numerous sunstroke symptoms, but the following are the most common signs and symptoms of heat stroke:
- Throbbing headache
- Overheated skin
- Nausea and vomiting
- Rapid heartbeat
- Fast, shallow breathing
- Muscle cramping
How to Beat Heat Stroke
When the heat index is high, try to stay in an air-conditioned area. But if the great outdoors calls, reduce the risk of heat stroke with these simple and smart precautions:
- Choose loose clothing that’s light-colored and lightweight.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water or juice each day to prevent dehydration.
- Drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after sports or other outdoor activities.
- Consider an electrolyte-filled sports drink during intense activity in high heat and humidity.
- Postpone sports and outdoor activities to a cooler time or an indoor location.
- If taking medication that increases the chance of heat stroke, ask your doctor if there is a safer alternative.
- At the first sign of heat stroke symptoms, go to MD Now for immediate heat stroke treatment. If you are having heat stroke or exhaustion, feeling weak, dehydrated and cannot drink enough fluids, MD Now Urgent Care can even start IV fluids to help you get better sooner.
MD Now is Your Source for the Highest-Quality Care
Discover the caring, convenient, and cost-efficient treatment that can always be found at MD Now. All of our locations operate on a walk-in, no-appointment basis with hours to conveniently suit your schedule. With 22 locations throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, quality care is always within your reach. For the Florida locations nearest you, visit https://www.mymdnow.com/locations.
To learn more about our urgent care centers, visit www.MDNow.com.
MD Now® Urgent Care Walk-In Medical Centers is the leading provider of fast and affordable urgent care to adults and children in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties. Our state-of-the-art, walk-in medical centers are open seven days a week to deliver an affordable and convenient alternative to long emergency room wait times and the limited hours of family physicians. No appointment is necessary and major insurance plans are accepted. In addition to providing a comprehensive range of urgent care services to treat a variety of illnesses and injuries, our multiple locations offer digital x-rays, EKG, lab testing, physicals, immunizations, vaccines, occupational medicine, travel medicine and selected primary care services. Find the medical care you need with the convenience you want at MD Now. Online: www.MDNow.com.