Save Your Neck with These Whiplash Treatments
When a strong force causes your neck to move beyond its normal range of motion, this can lead to a neck injury known as whiplash. This painful condition frequently results from car accidents, assaults, accidental falls, and sports injuries. These whiplash injuries need to be evaluated by a physician as soon as possible and may require x-rays. The treatment for whiplash varies by the severity of the neck injury and the amount of neck pain you experience. While a major neck injury can require surgery, milder cases of whiplash can be treated with the following remedies.
Treatments to Head Off Neck Pain
When you’re up to your neck in pain from a neck injury, you’ll do anything to get relief. Fortunately, there are many different treatments to alleviate and eliminate the agony of whiplash. Your doctor will prescribe the remedies to suit your situation. It can take some time to fully recover, but these treatments should help your neck injury heal:
- Apply ice packs or cold compresses to your neck for about 20 minutes at a time to reduce pain and swelling. Repeat this process every hour, as necessary, for up to three days after your neck injury.
- Use a cervical collar for the first few days for the amount of time prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid moving your head and neck until your pain and muscle tightness are gone.
- Stay away from strenuous activities, heavy lifting, and sports.
- Try physical therapy, as prescribed by your doctor. This may include motion exercises, muscle strengthening, electrical stimulation, or ultrasound.
- Consider non-traditional medical treatments for your neck pain, such as massage, acupuncture, or chiropractic care.
Pain Relievers That Crack the Whip on Neck Pain
The agony of whiplash can be constant and consuming. To get real relief from this grief, your doctor may prescribe these remedies for your neck pain:
- Over-the-counter or prescription pain medications
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs)
- Muscle relaxers
- Narcotic pain medication for cases of severe whiplash
- Benzodiazepine medications like Valium to soothe muscle tightness and spasms
Head to MD Now for Fast and Friendly Medical Care
Instead of the headaches of high hospital bills and long waits for doctor’s appointments, rely on MD Now for convenient, caring, and cost-efficient treatment. MD Now’s expert medical providers are experienced in managing and treating whiplash, neck pain, and other injuries that result from life’s accidents and incidents. In addition, MD Now offers in-house physical therapy, featuring techniques that can help alleviate the inflammation, spasm, and pain that often result from whiplash injuries. All of our locations are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week, 365 days a year, and operate on a walk-in, no-appointment basis to conveniently suit your schedule. With 22 locations throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, quality care is always within your reach. For the South Florida locations nearest you, visit https://www.mymdnow.com/locations.
To learn more about our urgent care centers, call 888-MDNow-911 or visit www.MDNow.com.
MD Now® Urgent Care Walk-In Medical Centers is the leading provider of fast and affordable urgent care to adults and children in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties. Our state-of-the-art, walk-in medical centers are open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. to deliver an affordable and convenient alternative to long emergency room wait times and the limited hours of family physicians. No appointment is necessary and major insurance plans are accepted. In addition to providing a comprehensive range of urgent care services to treat a variety of illnesses and injuries, our multiple locations offer digital x-rays, EKG, lab testing, physicals, immunizations, vaccines, physical therapy, occupational medicine, travel medicine and selected primary care services. Find the medical care you need with the convenience you want at MD Now. Call: 888-MDNow-911, online: www.MDNow.com.