How to Prevent Holiday Stress from Causing Pain and Problems
Every year during the holidays, people start getting stressed about the season’s upcoming events. But just as troubling as the mental stress during the holidays is the physical stress suffered from tending to seasonal chores. This can quickly make a very merry time into a series of injuries and pain. But by taking the proper precautions and being aware of the biggest injury risks, you can have a happy and healthy holiday season. A surprising number of holiday injuries and pain are caused by these seasonal stresses:
- Carrying heavy decoration boxes.
- Toting weighty shopping bags.
- Hanging lights using ladders.
- Overexertion and exhaustion from too much time on your feet.
- Emotional stress and anxiety.
- Poor nutrition.
9 Holiday Stress Tips to Keep Your Holidays Happy
In preparing for the holidays, many people experience pains and strains in their neck, shoulders, arms, back, and legs. To keep the season stress free and pain free, MD Now recommends these simple holiday stress tips:
- Lift heavy items by bending your knees, rather than relying on your back.
- Always bring weighty items close to you to avoid straining your back, shoulders, and elbows.
- When shopping, bring a fold-up shopping cart to carry your gifts with ease since toting heavy shopping bags can strain your neck, shoulders, and back.
- To prevent the pain of spending too much time on your feet, stretch your holiday shopping, cooking, and socializing over a longer period of time.
- When you must be on your feet for many hours, wear supportive shoes and take frequent breaks.
- Avoid hanging lights using ladders in icy or wet weather to prevent slips and falls.
- Wear shoes with non-slip soles when decorating from ladders or on the roof.
- If possible, hire a professional to handle your light-hanging needs.
- Reduce the mental stress of the season by taking time to relax, along with doing charity, and eating healthfully.
As long as you follow these smart holiday stress tips and use common sense, you can keep your holiday season very merry and bright.
MD Now is Your Source for the Highest-Quality Care
Discover the caring, convenient, and cost-efficient treatment that can always be found at MD Now. All of our locations are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week, 365 days a year, and operate on a walk-in, no-appointment basis to conveniently suit your schedule. With 22 locations throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, quality care is always within your reach. For the South Florida locations nearest you, visit https://www.mymdnow.com/locations.
To learn more about our urgent care centers, call 888-MDNow-911 or visit www.MDNow.com.
MD Now® Urgent Care Walk-In Medical Centers is the leading provider of fast and affordable urgent care to adults and children in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties. Our state-of-the-art, walk-in medical centers are open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. to deliver an affordable and convenient alternative to long emergency room wait times and the limited hours of family physicians. No appointment is necessary and major insurance plans are accepted. In addition to providing a comprehensive range of urgent care services to treat a variety of illnesses and injuries, our multiple locations offer digital x-rays, EKG, ultrasounds, lab testing, physicals, immunizations, vaccines, physical therapy, occupational medicine, travel medicine and selected primary care services. Find the medical care you need with the convenience you want at MD Now. Call: 888-MDNow-911, online: www.MDNow.com.