Bright Ideas for Skin Cancer Prevention
If you think that spending long hours in the summer sun is the only time you’re at risk for developing skin cancer, think again. Even though you may be outdoors more in the summertime, the sun’s rays are strong every day of the year. This means that skin cancer can strike anyone at any time. Research shows that one in every five Americans will develop skin cancer at some time in their lives.
While this is a scary statistic, it’s important to understand that skin cancer can be easily treated and cured if detected at an early stage. The secret to early detection is knowing your skin and constantly checking for changes, as well as seeing a doctor at the first sign of any noticeable change. To safeguard yourself even more, be smarter when in the sun by practicing skin cancer prevention.
MD Now Urgent Care has tips for preventing skin cancer and ways to spot it when it starts. Discover how simple skin cancer prevention can be, plus how to spot signs of a problem.
11 Simple Tips for Skin Cancer Prevention
It’s easier to learn how to prevent skin cancer than to face the fear of treating it. Luckily, all it takes are a few simple steps and a little common sense to avoid skin cancer. MD Now recommends the following tips to stay safe from the sun:
- Wear sunblock every day, regardless of whether it’s cloudy or bright.
- Choose a sunblock with an SPF 30 or higher.
- Apply sunblock to all exposed areas of your skin any time you’ll be outdoors or near a window.
- Reapply sunblock about every two hours.
- When outdoors, wear long-sleeved shirts, pants, a broad-brimmed hat, and sunglasses.
- Never sunbathe.
- Stay away from tanning beds.
- Check your skin every month for spots and moles.
- At your annual checkups, ask your doctor to look for any skin changes and early signs of skin cancer.
- Each month, do a self-check of your skin for changes in spots and changes in moles.
- See your doctor or visit MD Now immediately if you notice any skin changes or causes for concern.
Take a Shine to Signs of a Skin Cancer Problem
When it comes to skin cancer prevention, early detection can save you from later treatment. That’s why you need to be proactive about checking your skin for unusual spots and moles, which are the primary signs of skin cancer. To make it simple to remember how to spot signs of a problem, doctors have developed a system called the ABCDEs. These letters correspond to the primary signs of skin cancer:
- Asymmetry: notice when one side of a mole differs from the other.
- Borders: look for the edges of spots or moles that are irregularly shaped, poorly defined, or take on a scalloped appearance.
- Color: pay attention to the colors of spots and moles, particularly when they vary from others nearby or take on a brown, tan, black, red, blue, or white hue.
- Diameters: check for spots and moles that are the size of a pencil eraser or larger, yet realize that signs of skin cancer can appear smaller.
- Evolving: check if spot or moles look different from the surrounding skin or change in size, shape, or color.
If you notice any of these issues, go to your doctor or your nearest MD Now location as soon as possible to have your concern checked out and possibly save yourself from skin cancer.
MD Now is Your Source for the Highest-Quality Care
Discover the caring, convenient, and cost-efficient treatment that can always be found at MD Now. All of our locations operate on a walk-in, no-appointment basis with hours to conveniently suit your schedule. With 26 locations throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, quality care is always within your reach. For the Florida locations nearest you, visit https://www.mymdnow.com/locations.
To learn more about our urgent care centers, call 888-MDNow-911 or visit www.MDNow.com.
MD Now® Urgent Care Walk-In Medical Centers is the leading provider of fast and affordable urgent care to adults and children in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties. Our state-of-the-art, walk-in medical centers are open seven days a week to deliver an affordable and convenient alternative to long emergency room wait times and the limited hours of family physicians. No appointment is necessary and major insurance plans are accepted. In addition to providing a comprehensive range of urgent care services to treat a variety of illnesses and injuries, our multiple locations offer digital x-rays, EKG, lab testing, physicals, immunizations, vaccines, occupational medicine, travel medicine and selected primary care services. Find the medical care you need with the convenience you want at MD Now. Call: 888-MDNow-911, online: www.MDNow.com.