8 Ways Doctors Can Help Diabetics Follow Their Diabetes Treatment Regimens
Many patients are resistant to complying with their diabetes treatment regimens for various reasons. For some, their signs of diabetes are so mild that they don’t believe they require any treatment. For others, their diabetic diagnosis is so upsetting that they disregard any treatments prescribed. Regardless of the reason that diabetics don’t follow their treatment plans, this can have a major effect on their health and lifestyle.
How can doctors encourage their patients to adhere their treatment programs? By providing them with the guidance, support, and resources they need to manage their diabetes symptoms. At MD Now Urgent Care, we provide testing for Diabetes and can also start treatment as needed. We understand that diabetes can be an overwhelming condition for patients to handle on their own. For a look at how doctors can encourage diabetics to follow the treatment plans prescribed for diabetes relief and better health, MD Now shared eight healthy strategies.
- Connect Patients with Community Support: Diabetics don’t always have access to information about the two types of diabetes and the health advice needed for each. This is why doctors must encourage sufferers with food issues to visit local food pantries to learn how to prepare the healthy foods offered by the food pantry.
- Educate Nursing Facilities About the Types of Diabetes and Ideal Diabetic Diet: It can very beneficial to send a diabetes educator into these kitchens to evaluate the kinds of food that are offered to patients. Educators can also participate in regular telephone calls with these facilities to advise them on proper food for diabetics and how to spot signs of diabetes in residents.
- Have Patients Come In Regularly for Diabetes-Centric Appointments: These visits can provide opportunities for doctors to discuss the long-term consequences of diabetes with patients and help them develop worthwhile goals.
- Develop Relationships with Families of Patients: Since patients’ family members often prepare food for patients, doctors need them to come to the patient’s appointments for guidance on establishing healthy dietary routines.
- Discover Why Patients Don’t Take Their Diabetes Medications: Some drugs have undesirable reputations or side effects that make patients wary about taking them for diabetes relief. But talking to patients can reveal and correct any misconceptions and reasons for not taking the diabetes medications they need.
- Avoid Judgment: To make patients open up to a doctor, the patients need to be assured that a doctor will be accepting of their feelings or perspectives rather than passing judgment.
- Instruct Patients on Exercise: Patients who don’t exercise often aren’t comfortable or familiar with working out, so they need to be taught about their options for regular exercise.
- Partner with Donors and Pharmaceutical Firms to Provide Patient Resources: A worthwhile way to encourage and educate patients about adopting a healthier lifestyle and proper diabetic diet is by collaborating with other supportive sources to provide funding for educational programs and materials.
MD Now Is Your Source for the Highest-Quality Care
Discover the caring, convenient, and cost-efficient treatment that can always be found at MD Now. All of our locations operate on a walk-in, no-appointment basis with hours to conveniently suit your schedule. With 31 locations throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, quality care is always within your reach. For the Florida locations nearest you, visit https://www.mymdnow.com/locations.
To learn more about our urgent care centers, call 888-MDNow-911 or visit www.MDNow.com.
MD Now® Urgent Care Walk-In Medical Centers is the leading provider of fast and affordable urgent care to adults and children in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties. Our state-of-the-art, walk-in medical centers are open seven days a week to deliver an affordable and convenient alternative to long emergency room wait times and the limited hours of family physicians. No appointment is necessary and major insurance plans are accepted. In addition to providing a comprehensive range of urgent care services to treat a variety of illnesses and injuries, our multiple locations offer digital x-rays, EKG, lab testing, physicals, immunizations, vaccines, occupational medicine, travel medicine and selected primary care services. Find the medical care you need with the convenience you want at MD Now. Call: 888-MDNow-911, online: www.MDNow.com.